11/14/08

One of a kind...

Well, Phoenix never fails to beat the odds...I found a HUGE lump in his not-to-share area (even though he shares all his areas with the whole neighborhood!) a few days ago. As I was advised, I took him right in to see the Pediatrician. I was a little sick about it because I have had a nephew around the same age as Phoenix go through chemo due to testicular cancer. So, there were a few possibilities, one being a hydrocele which in a boy his age is pretty rare...But, it was no surprise that he beat the odds and it WAS a hydrocele. We are extremely thankful. The funny part is that when I talked to another pediatrician (one that had stepped into our doctors visit to give a second opinion) and told him that it ended up being a hydrocele he asked me if I thought he had been injured in that area recently. I said "to be honest, the kid screams so much that I wouldn't have noticed if he had been!"
P.S. According to Wikipedia...A hydrocele is the accumulation of fluids around a testicle. It can occur in infants undergoing peritoneal dialysis. A hydrocele testis is due to fluid secreted from a remnant piece of peritoneum wrapped around the testis called the tunica vaginalis. It can also be as a result of cancer, trauma (such as a hernia), or orchitis. It can also be the result of a plugged inguinal lymphatic system caused by repeated chronic infection of Wuchereria bancrofti or Brugia malayi, two mosquito-borne parasites of Africa and S.E. Asia, respectively. As such the condition would be a part of more diffuse sequelae commonly referred to as elephantiasis.

No comments:

Dumb and Dumber

The yard...